Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Summer Reading

Summer reading? I thought I had seen the last of those when I graduated high school. Apparently not. The difference between my current summer reading list and the ones we all became accustomed to in jr high and high school; I am inflicting this brutal list upon myself.



Why would one do such a thing? Well, its quite simple.... to further broaden my horizons, increase my intellect, and expand my business knowledge. Ha just kidding... actually not really. I have created this reading list because, quite frankly, grad school intimidates the heck outta me and these books are my attempt to make myself smarter. I am beyond thankful for the opportunity to attend WashU's MBA program and very excited for the experience. However, anxiety and uncertainty are rearing their ugly heads as well.

I will likely be the youngest person in my MBA class (the average age is 27).

I will be a gender minority (gender breakdown of the MBA school is 28/72% female/male).

I will likely be one of the only people from the south (that is if you count Florida and Texas as the south... if you don't, then I will be THE only person from the south).

I could potentially be a "minority" as a caucasian (last years class was 34% international plus 12% underrepresented minority).

I will have significantly less work experience than my peers (the average is 4 years).

Despite all of this, I am sure that WashU is the place for me. I have felt God's hand throughout the process... applying, admission, etc... and I want the new experience and the change from what I know as "comfortable". But you can't ignore the facts. I will be starting school with a slight disadvantage... less work experience, less worldly experience, and possibly less knowledge (based on my peer's choices of undergrads such as Cornell and Brown - Roll tide!). So this reading list is my way of actively trying to bridge the gap. I am not assuming that reading these books will make me a genius or top of my class. I know that I will stumble during my first year at school. I know that some of classmates might dismiss my ideas because of my age or background. I know I will get the answer wrong ALOT. And that's fine. I need to experience that in order to grow as a person. I hope these books will give me a boost of confidence in my intellectual ability and the knowledge I already possess. I also hope they will get me excited about school and excited about business. And most of all, I hope they will start the ball rolling towards finding and creating my career path.

Just need to make sure I have a dictionary close by...

2 comments:

Aseem Singla said...

well said !! and of course you will enjoy your stay at WASHU :)

hnsheffield said...

You are going to blow those possibly prematurely balding, possibly slightly arrogant because of their alma mater, possibly slightly more experienced men (and hopefully not women) right out of the water! I'm super proud of you!!!

Post a Comment